Friday, June 29, 2012

"We are always sixteen / I am a thousand Julys":

Summer broke on the backs of children... wait.  Right man, wrong book (and if you can snap up that dangling allusion, kiddos, I'll buy you a stiff drink)

I realize the Throwdown is morphing more into a regular old blog as my distinguished opponent is increasingly absent, work has gotten busy enough to keep me from reading as much, and the fact that summer is here.
Summer. Is. Here.

Since it's actually gotten warm, I've sat up late among fireflies and stars drinking cold beers with multiple sets of good friends, gotten tasty food at the farmer's market, run through swarms of bugs on gorgeous trails next to the Ocoee, rekindled my love for Lux Lisbon, spent quality time with coworkers at the Universal Joint every dang week, fallen asleep on the back porch while the bright sun warmed my skin, stumbled post-workout through the doors of Jittery Joe's in search of a 7AM coffee fix, gone on an amazing bike ride through farmland and the 90-degree heat on the promise of pizza, imagined honeysuckle everywhere, found delight in the tartness of pineapples, driven with the windows down, driven with the music up.  Sung loudly.  Fallen asleep happy.

Before the leaves start to kamikaze down onto our heads, I want to crash a hostel near a beach (any beach, really), pretend like I know how to navigate a boat down a large body of water, swim in a lake, load the Jeep out with gear and friends and find a place to camp, put a few hundred rounds down range, laugh until I hurt. 

I am grateful and joyful.  Winter is coming, but summer is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment