Sunday, April 8, 2012

Summer Broke on the Backs of Children:


I don't know that I have much to say this week - it's been a busy one.  But, I did read some books.  Instead, I'll give you a selection of music videos that provide a deep, meaningful commentary... but you'll have to piece it together based on your own subjective interpretations.  Go brains go!

Eastern Standard Tribe, Cory Doctorow, 224p.  I've wanted to read this guy for a while but haven't managed to get around to it; the kindle edition was a couple of bucks.  Pretty good, pretty short, a little bit scattershot with the ideas and light on character development.  It was an early one, though, and I understand that he's written more, that's better. 

The Woods, Harlan Coben, 324p.  Throw-away mystery found abandoned on a shelf somewhere, but entertaining.  Why can't all mystery writers be as good as James Lee Burke?  Oh.  Yeah. 

Proof Positive, Phillip Margolin, 448p.  See above.

Columbine, Dave Cullen, 443p.  Such an excellent book, for a number of specific reasons (Ok, so generally I generalize the platitudes.  It's a thing.).  First, the pacing was perfect and measured enough to keep the book moving as if it were plotted, without getting bogged down.  Second, it is exhaustively researched and meticulously detailed.  Third, the central argument is well-founded, logical, humane, and supported by both expert opinion and overwhelming evidence.  Last, the stories presented are given an extraordinary amount of compassion and humanity; I never felt like a voyeur or that the information was gratuitous.  I expected this book to be particularly hard to read and hard to revisit, instead I felt quite a bit of catharsis.  So there.  If that doesn't convince you to read it, I can't help you.

The Tiger's Wife, Tea Obreht, 368p.  As perfect as I expected. 

In other news, Kate is still missing.  There's probably a boy involved... It's a good thing I have no social or romantic life to speak of - I am an engine for kicking book-geek booty.

WEEK 14 TOTAL: 11972 PAGES!


2 comments:

  1. Did you ever track down the Name of the Wind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it when you were with me in Asheville, at Malaprop's! Read it, loved it, and read the sequel as well. My copy has been loaned out to the universe and is probably somewhere in a hippie's backpack in Central America, if the stars are right.

    ReplyDelete