Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Power of One (Dan Simmons novel!)

THIS WEEK I logged 960 pages by reading one novel, and even though I may finish another book this weekend, I'm calling it a day.  That book, that massive, shelf-busting behemoth of bookish beauty, was Dan Simmons' The Terror

It's my favorite of the year so far.  Also my favorite of Simmons'.  Possibly the quickest 960 pages I've ever read. 

It was pants-soiling good.  Not just in the terrifying way, either.  Slap your mother good.  Smash a guitar good.  Declare 2012 the Year of Captain Crozier and His Terrifying Arctic Monster good.  Quit your job and become an Inuit good. 

You think I'm overstating my case, but I'm not.  Behind the glowing blurbs, the enthusiastic reviews, and the clever premise lurked a novel that literally made me squeal (to mine and my co-worker's massive embarrassment). 

If I were Dan Simmons, I'd have sent the manuscript off to the publisher, made myself a stiff drink, and spent the rest of my career introducing myself as "Dan Simmons, author of The Terror.  It's that good."

The only downside about finally reading it is that I keep staring at the next contenders on my bookshelf and shaking my head in disappointment.  And they know it, too, all those books with their 'awards' and 'critical accolades' vying for attention.  Let's face it, Cutting For Stone and Let The Great World Spin, you're going to try too hard to make me feel something deep and emotional.  It won't work.  You're going to fail.  My heart is trapped at Terror Camp with Captain Crozier and Lady Silence, and I want the Bad Thing on the Ice to eat your gooey entrails. 

WEEK FOUR TOTAL: 3487!

READER'S NOTE: In order to make my (secret) goal of 40,000 pages by December 31st, I need to average 769.23 pages per week.  January has me riding at 871.75, over 100 pages per week above the goal.  That's right, I've got statistics on my side... Kate will crumble!

Rob.

No comments:

Post a Comment