Saturday, January 21, 2012

Cthulhu Calls Collect:

Ok Book Geeks, here's my list for the third week in January.  Not too shabby... if you haven't noticed, I'm still ahead of Kate. 

(Hopefully she hasn't noticed that my lead is composed of books that are... not challenging.)

Wings of Fire, Charles Todd, 320p.  Anne's mom put me on to this series of post-WW1 mysteries with Ian Rutledge; I really like them.  The 'mystery' part itself is solid, but what really sucks me in is the psychological development of the main character.  I read most of James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series for the same reason, but I think in terms of consistent writing, Todd has the edge.  Of course, I'm also a sucker for anything in that time period.

Boneshaker, Cherie Priest, 416p.  Almost totally forgettable.  I'm on a steampunk kick to begin with, and I was really happy to find this one at the local library (Support your library, dammit!), but it made almost no impression on me whatsoever.  I think the neat parts about the setting just put me in mind of the Fallout games, and that's territory well tread.  I'll probably give her other books a shot if they fall into my lap, but compared to the other things I'm reading, Boneshaker failed to impress.

The Osiris Ritual, George Mann, 319p.  So. Very. Good.  This guy's series about Sir Maurice Newbury and Miss Victoria Hobbes are great little novels.  They strike me as having the best, most enjoyable parts of the Danger Girl comics coupled with a real sense of setting and environment.  To be so fast-paced, Mann seems to get the little details right that keep my brain soaked in Victorian-era London's images and sounds.  Highly recommended for escapist fun. 

I'm also still reading The First World War: A Complete History and making my way through The Terror.  I actually started The Terror last week, and it actually made me physically colder.  If Simmons keeps up the quality of the story for the next 800 pages, it will probably be my favorite of his novels.  Drood was phenomenal, but this one has me sinking down into my sleeping bag, hoping the bad thing in the dark won't get me.  Points. 

Next up is a foray into Dickens.  That's right.  I've never read A Tale of Two Cities or Bleak House... both of which are promising.  I have three concerns with Mr. Charles and myself: First, that although I love books that evoke the same time period, after reading so much steampunk, Sarah Waters, and historical fiction, Mr. Dickens' style will put me off and I will give up.  Second, Portlandia, Doctor Who, and Downtown Abbey will eat my free time away.  Third, that my utter loathing for Great Expectations (High School Rob still wants to beat up all those terrible, terrible people.) will resurface with a vengeance. 

I will channel Nick Hornby's love of Bleak House for my own.  

Next week, the monthly wrap up.  Reassessing tactics and strategy.  Major gains along the eastern front are promised.  Onward to victory!

WEEK THREE TOTAL:  2527!

No comments:

Post a Comment