Friday, January 20, 2012

Mid January Update

I have actually had a pretty good reading month thus far, thanks to a flight to LA and back. Here's where I stand:
All The Pretty Horses: Finished this one for 124 pages.
 A Summons to Memphis: Good book, won the Pulitzer in 1987, interesting story and narrative, and short. I always love a short book :) 207 pages.
 March by Geraldine Brooks. This one was an awesome piece of historical fiction, based off of the dad in Little Women and his going to be a chaplain during the Civil War. Won the Pulitzer in either 06 or 07. 276 pages.
 Midnight's Children, by Salman Rushdie. This one has been a bit of a slog, only 174 pages in.
 Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout. Great book, won the Pulitzer recently,    I think 2009, I love Maine and this book definitely features imperfect characters and explores the complexity or relationships and personalities in daily lives. I love books that are really able to capture how to that person their life and all the relationships in it and how they view the world are so powerful. 268 pages.
Homer and Langley by E.L. Doctrow. Possibly my favorite of the January book reading. It's the story of two brothers who live in a brownstone on 5th avenue, one (the narrator) is blind and the other returning from the First World War after being injured by mustard gas poisoining. It's basically a tour of the 20th century through their eyes. Phenomenal. 206 pages.
The Stone Diaries, by Carol Shields. Won the Pulitzer in 1995, I appreciate it's literary value as it traces the life of an ordinary woman through the 20th century, but had a hard time getting in to it, not a lot of connection to the characters. 359 pages.
Rabbit is Rich by John Updike. Another one of those books where I don't think I like it, but I read it for four hours straight on the plane ride home and couldn't put it down. He's kind of like a more vulgar Richard Ford. I am about 2/3rds of the way through. 258 pages.
 Grand Total: 1872.
Pages more than Rob at press time: 400 exactly. That's right. If you ain't running with it run from it.
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment