Wednesday, January 23, 2013

If Books Were a Drug...

THE GEEK THROWDOWN RETURNS!


Ok, so it's not as dramatic as all that.  However, last week at work someone asked me what my 'official' 2012 turned out to be, and I couldn't give her a straight answer.  I had to estimate.  The shame.  

If you recall, my Disgraced Opponent offered up her submission way back in June, and so the need for me to keep such meticulous records of reading ceased to exist.  I kept a rough tally, however, and when asked the best I could come up with was "Around 35,000 pages, total".  

Looking back, I think that was more or less accurate... but it's still a ballpark figure, and 'ballpark' is bullshit. Ballpark is for people who play sports-balls.  Ballpark is not for a Book Geek of any merit.  

So in lieu of any 2013 resolutions (how...pedestrian), I will take a vow.  An Oath of Geekdom.  

I profess, before Almighty God, all the Saints, and martyred Librarians everywhere, to record every single page I read in 2013.  

No competition, no races, no consequences, just the pride of a tame pathology this year.  Most importantly, no restrictions on rereads!  Here are the first four from January, a slow start, but there are others in media res.  

The Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien, 544 pages.
Sourcery, Terry Pratchett, 260 pages.
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, Ransom Riggs, 352 pages.
The Description of Wales, Girauldus Cambrensis, 41 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment