Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Long Shadow:

I don't know if reading truly awful books makes me funnier, or it's all the caffeine and anger, but this week's round up promises some real chuckles.  Things are going steady with the page count - I knew that this month I'd not have nearly as much time to read, but I'm planning a major rally for March.  Plus, I got a Kindle.  I'm considering it a force multiplier.

Bossypants, Tina Fey, 277p. I don't generally read 'funny' books, since people trying to be funny on the page usually fail miserably.  I also don't generally read autobiographies, because I don't trust 'em.  However, Ms. Fey made me laugh out loud (LOL!) many times in the midst of Major Personal Drama, which is a pretty ringing endorsement of her wit.  The extra-large font, though, just makes everyone feel old. 

A Discovery of Witches, Deborah Harkness, 580p.  Aka, Harkness's Hot Mess.  So... once again I was suckered in by a couple of blurbs that made references to The Historian and Name of the RoseDo Not Believe Their Filthy Lies.  Basically, this giant pile of trash is everything from Harry Potter, Twilight, Jasper Fforde, The Da Vinci Code, Twilight, and Twilight, that you loathe and despise with all your being, in one book.  All of which, mind you, I was prepared to accept if there were a decent historical/textual mystery to wrap the cheese around, but the plot is something like this:
There's a book about alchemy.
Only one person can access it, and her parents died saving her as a child from this terrible fate!
She's a witch/hermaphrodite/historian/messiah/mitochondrial Lilith/Bella/WithUnlimitedPower!
She's in love with a vampire/scientist/Templar/domestic abuser.
Other vampires/witches/daemons want the book.
Time travel!
Wait... wasn't there some cool stuff about a book in the beginning?  Screw it, Vampire Fight!

WEEK EIGHT TOTAL: 6670 PAGES!


4 comments:

  1. Rob-a book with a more pedanticly grounded plot similar to what you just described was a thrilling read for me. Major Spanish bestseller. The book is Shadow of the Wind and intends to attract bibliophiles. Young boy, comes of age enticed by aloof Beatrice, Catholic dark undertones, characature of a washed-up direlect life-loving old revolutionary/rebel, setting Barcelona a generation after their civil war, a haunting scene here and there, interesting intrigue, try it. Oh, and there's a truly develish twist having to do with fire, fathers, and the devil.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam! I have read and loved Shadow of the Wind, although maybe I'll give it a re-read. I first picked it up and read through it several years ago, while home on Christmas leave.

      If you haven't tried Angel's Game by the same author, I'd recommend it. Many people seemed to think it didn't stack up to Shadow, but I felt like it was strong on its' own and well worth the read. Also creepy as hell.

      Much love!

      Delete
  2. YOU GOT A KINDLE!!!???

    but...but...but...what about BOOKS????

    P.S. I loved Shadow of the Wind when I read it last winter, so I guess when I finish the Lord of the Rings (started The Two Towers today) I should read Angel's Game. I miss your book lists for me, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to send you a book list, keep an eye out for it. I know, I know, I still maintain my obsessive love of books with unique character and smells, but the Kindle is excellent. All the usual reasons apply (light, elegant design, simple, massive battery life, easy on the eyes), but the thing that is making me most happy is, I think, unintended: I don't think about how far I am in the book, I only pay attention to the narrative. So I don't guess at what is coming next based on how far, physically, I've read, and I pay more attention to the way the story is being unfolded. It's a small point, but I'm liking it a lot.

    ReplyDelete